It's been a great week with the release of awesome updates for the applications I use on my iPhone and iPad. A few days ago, I posted an update released for Boom Beach but I think it would be better to consolidate the latest changes to the other apps into this post. All of these apps are highly recommended and they are all installed on my iPhone and iPad mini. Here are the six apps on my list with the details of what's new in them as mentioned in the AppStore.
By far, the biggest addition to Camera+ 8 is an innovative slow shutter feature. When you’re shooting in the manual modes, you can now have effective shutter speeds as long as 30 seconds. So now you’ll be able to do things like take those kinds of amazing, misty, creamy waterfall photos that you see in magazines. And you’ll be able to do some creative night photography. It opens your iPhone photography up to so many new possibilities that are only limited to whatever your imagination can conjure up.
Working hand-in-hand with the new extended range of shutter speeds is an extended range of effective ISO values. With this range, you’ll be able to get down to unbelievably low apparent ISO values to make it possible to take long exposure photos without having to resort to using things like ND filters to prevent your photos from blowing out. And throughout the extended shutter speed / ISO range, the preview you see in your viewfinder is a very good indicator of what you’ll be capturing as far as exposure goes, so there’s little to no guesswork when you’re doing long exposure photography… not even the most expensive DSLR cameras can make that claim.
Please note that these new slow shutter / low ISO features require a decent amount of processing mojo, so these features aren’t available on the various flavors of iPhone 5. We vaporized a 5c or two in early testing so we felt the need to disable it on those devices. With great power comes great responsibility… to not melt phones.
We’re really excited and very much looking forward to seeing what kinds of creative photography you’re able to achieve with these new extended shutter speed and ISO ranges in Camera+ 8!
New Import Options
We’ve added a couple of import options to help you get your latest photos from your Photo Library and into your Lightbox. Now you can easily import the last photo you shot… and you can even import your whole last moment with just a couple of taps.
A new share thingy
When you have a share sheet open in an app, those square, rounded-cornered, monochromatic icons in the bottom row are called Action Extensions. The nomenclature might leave a bit to be desired but it’s hard to debate the usefulness of these items. And on that note, we’ve added a Camera+ Action Extension so that you can now easily send photos to your Lightbox right from the share sheet of most apps. Be sure to peruse the Extensions section of the menu for the 411 on how to enable this nifty, useful new feature.
Notification Center Widget Import Option
There’s a new option for the Notification Center Widget that enables you to quickly import photos from your Photo Library to your Lightbox. Check-out the Extensions section of the menu to square away how to do it.
Shazam Offline: Keep Shazaming - even when you’re not connected! Next time the music's on but the WiFi isn't, simply tap the big blue button and we’ll name that tune as soon as you're back online. The tracks we match will be waiting for you in the ‘My Shazam’ tab, as always.
- Back up and restore Viber messages - Manually save your Viber message history to iCloud and restore with the most recent backup file
- Animated GIF support - Send, receive and view GIFs through any conversation
- Viber Out calling plans - Access your balance and purchase new credits or special low-rate calling plans via a redesigned screen
- Apple Watch OS 2 support - Run Viber on Apple Watch OS 2
- Now send money from the U.S. to virtually anyone in more than 200 countries and territories, powered by Western Union®. Send cash for pickup from a Western Union® agent location worldwide, or send directly to a bank account in nearly 50 countries
- New in app navigation – featuring gesture-based UI that allows for quick navigation between your personal space and a feed with updates from the people you follow and VSCO Original content
- Redesigned personal space – create, edit and publish images and journal posts to your profile
- Improved image capture and search
- Improved app speed and functionality
- Take a selfie with the front facing camera and find a surprise :)
- Introducing IFTTT integration, allowing you to trigger IFTTT recipes in your workflows. With IFTTT's hundreds of actions now accessible from Workflow, the possibilities are endless!
- Four other new actions, including integrations with Blink and LINE
- Other bug fixes and improvements
- Make PDF now supports Pages, Keynote, and Numbers documents
- Added the ability to log Systolic and Diastolic blood pressure together in Log Health Sample
- Get Maps Link now generates better links, including geographic coordinates and/or the street address
- Improved international street address handling
- Improved the presentation of dialogs in Ask When Run and Ask for Input
- Added a Country option when searching by product ID with Search App Store and Search iTunes Store
- Fixed an issue where certain filters were ignored (such as Event Is All Day, or Reminder Is Completed)
- Fixed variable bugs which caused errors when running filtering actions
- Fixed issues when entering Japanese and Chinese characters in text fields
- Fixed an issue where Make PDF may have included extra margins on documents
- Fixed an issue where Exit Workflow did not dismiss the workflow when running in the Action Extension
- Fixed an issue where using Set Name with a file extension did not work for Dropbox items
- Fixed an issue where the Notebook field of Get Evernote Notes was ignored
- Fixed an issue where Emoji may not be counted correctly by the Count action when counting characters
- Fixed an issue where text in Quick Look would not wrap to new lines and would appear very small
- Fixed an issue preventing the home screen icon picker from working on iPad
- Fixed a crash on Apple Watch when logging health information using Ask When Run
- Fixed a crash that affected certain actions, including Post to Facebook
- Fixed a "Could not convert string to date" error when using the App Store actions
- Other bug fixes and minor additions
Injustice: Gods Among Us
EVERY BATTLE DEFINES YOU
In celebration of NetherRealm Studio’s latest console game announcement, we’ve put two INJUSTICE 2 Characters in INJUSTICE GODS AMONG US Mobile. Get a sneak peek at the new look of two iconic characters bringing the fight, INJUSTICE 2 Superman and INJUSTICE 2 Aquaman are here. Both appear as Challenge characters, with opportunities to buy directly in Access Packs. Get a jump start on the excitement now!
IT’S A CELEBRATION!
As part of the INJUSTICE 2 roll out, we’re offering a Daily Gold Booster Pack from 6/12 – 6/18 for only 100 Power Credits. That’s an extreme discount, and it carries a chance at earning both INJUSTICE 2 Superman and INJUSTICE 2 Aquaman. Go ahead, test your luck.
BUT WAIT… THERE’S MORE!
Two more Challenge Characters are coming soon. The women of Injustice round out the new character offering in this latest update. Ame-Comi Catwoman and Teen Titans Raven Challenges are coming soon. Don’t miss out.