|Details of the update inside the game|
Clash of Clans has just released its latest update this week which introduced a new Dark Troop called Lava Hound. Lava Hound is a flying unit which focuses mainly on Air Defenses. The first level Lava Hound has a very low 10 Damage per second but this is compensated with very high Hitpoints of 5700. You can probably say that its a Golem that flies. The troop splits into multiple Lava Pups when it dies and its unlocked on Town Hall Level 9 (Source: Clash of Clans Wiki).
|The Lava Hound|
|The Lava Pup|
Aside from this new troop, Barbarian and Archers can now be upgraded to Level 7 and Archer Towers can now reach Level 13. Another interesting update is the use of Elixir to upgrade walls. The only condition here is that you need to have at least Level 6 walls to use it.
I just reached Town Hall Level 9 a few weeks back and this is absolutely another interesting update. I have yet to play Lava Hound but it will definitely a good decoy for my usual combos of Giant and Healer and mass Dragons during Clan War. Here's the full release notes of the update as posted in iTunes.
A brand new Dark Barracks troop makes its debut, along with new troop and building levels!
- This brand new flying Dark troop loves to hunt Air Defenses
- Tough and reliable, it takes tons of damage before erupting into many smaller units!
- Barbarian & Archer level 7, Archer Tower level 13 and Dark Barracks level 6
Balancing and interface improvements
- Upgrade full rows of walls at once with the option to pay Elixir instead of Gold!
- Hero heal times and Valkyrie training time are greatly reduced
- Healers now stick to healing bigger groups of units
- Replays show the attacking army, can be paused or will show time remaining if live
|Troops can now be removed from the Clan Castle...|
|... and Army Camps|
Another nice application goes free on the Apple Store app (this link is for iPad). I've been eyeing this calculator app because aside from the usual calculations, it supports graphs as well. This is a good alternative to the Calculator app on your iPhone and it works nicely on your iPad. If you have the Apple Store app, you can get the application by going to any Apple Store. Tydlig is free until September 12. Here are some screenshots of the application on my iPad mini.
|Normal calculations on the application|
|Other calculator functions supported in Tydlig|
|The normal calculator keys|
Supercell has just released an update to its latest game Boom Beach in the App Store. The update focused on visual upgrades, interface improvements and some gameplay and balance changes. Here's the complete release notes of the changes:
- Magma Islands! Discover Magma Crystals by defeating the Blackguard on these volcanic islands
- New graphics for resource storages
- New statue graphics and effects
- Defense building visual improvements, including distinctive building bases to easily spot them
- Hot new effects: enemy HQ now burns when damaged, flamethrower fire and gunboat smoke improved
- Improved and extra boomy effects for rocket explosions and Boom Cannon shell impacts
- Daily summary popup info is now more informative
- Enemy Activity log shows which lost villages can be attacked immediately
- You can now access the Armory to check unit stats and upgrade costs even while an upgrade is underway in the Armory (thanks to L3stat for the suggestion!)
- Fixed Rocket Launcher damage per second info (thanks to Rudeman for the correction!)
Gameplay and balance changes
- Trees will now randomly grow back on your home base island (thanks to everyone who suggested this!)
- If a lot of enemy base buildings remain after the HQ is destroyed, they will blow up faster
- New dive location for Radar level 5
- Improved endgame npc matchmaking, no more low level Blackguard bases for endgame players
Also bug fixes and several optimizations to speed up game loading and to improve overall performance.
Here are some screenshots as well from my iPad mini.
|Check out that volcano on the island|
|Nice detailed touch on the statue. The resource they hold represent what is boosted.|
|New look for the statues|
It's not all the time that you get a big loot in Clash of Clans. In the years that I've played the game, my average would be in the 150,000 range for Gold and Elixir. I sometimes raid 200,000 to 300,000 and its not that often. But a few weeks ago, just before one of our Wars ended, I got very lucky with one of my raids. Having 10 Dragons, 2 Rage spells, 1 Heal spell, a Barbarian King and a Castle, I attacked this village. Check out the video below for my personal best in Clash.
|My successful signup to the Beta Program|
I was very fortunate to signup for Apple's beta program last Wednesday night after being alerted that their latest OS for the Mac is being offered to the public for testing. In the four years that I owned a Mac and upgraded to their OS annually, this is the first time I experienced having the public participate for beta testing. In the past, this was only exclusive to developers who pay yearly to have their status renewed. I immediately grabbed the opportunity and signed up to the program since only the first 1 million users will be able to participate in the testing.
|Email confirmation I received today|
|Welcome to the program|
This morning, I received a notification that I got in to test drive OS X Yosemite. I got really excited because I can now take a look at Yosemite. A link is available in the email which redirected me to OS X Yosemite's Beta site. After logging in to the site, there are reminders on installing Yosemite on your Mac. First, your Mac needs to have enough memory (at least 2GB) and disk space (at least 8GB) to run the OS. You also need to have Mavericks installed on your Mac. Second, as a precaution, backup your Mac using Time Machine. You'll never know what could happen after you install Yosemite and its always a good practice to perform a backup. Then finally, you can now download and install Yosemite. You will get a redemption code then download the OS from the Mac App Store.
Since this is a beta software, you don't want to install it on your main machine. In my case, I read some articles on how to partition the hard drive on my Mac and install Yosemite there. This article from Ars Technica is just one of many articles on how to do it on your machine. The OS is a 5GB download and I'll probably just do it this weekend. I'm really looking forward to test the OS and share my findings to Apple.
Blizzard has just released its update to Hearthstone last Tuesday bringing its latest expansion Curse of Naxxramas. The game is available to PC, Mac and iPad users.
Here's the full details of the update for the iPad.
CURSE OF NAXXRAMAS: A HEARTHSTONE ADVENTURE
- Curse of Naxxramas offers a new single player campaign to play Hearthstone against challenging NPC adversaries. Curse of Naxxramas can be unlocked with gold or real money and can be accessed by players that have unlocked all 9 heroes.
- Defeat 15 fearsome bosses to unlock a total of 30 new Hearthstone cards for your collection, including Legendary cards! Naxxramas cards can easily be searched for within My Collection using the search function.
- An all-new interactive Naxxramas-themed game board awaits you within the Adventure! Discover the surprises that lurk inside the slime pools, the quivering masses of spider eggs (spoilers: It’s spiders), and more!
- Surmount 9 diabolical Class Challenges that test your skills with each of the unique classes of Hearthstone!
- Defeating all of the bosses within a wing unlocks the extremely challenging Heroic Mode of that wing. Defeating all of the bosses of Naxxramas on Heroic mode unlocks a new card back for your collection.
- Five unique wings await those brave enough to venture into Naxxramas. The first wing, The Arachnid Quarter, will immediately be available to play for free for a limited time. The remaining four wings are immediately available for players to unlock with real money or gold, and will become accessible over a period of time once unlocked.
1. The Arachnid Quarter – A web choked maze filled with many-legged minions.
2. The Plague Quarter – Necromancers brew deadly plagues while a fungal monstrosity lies in wait.
3. The Military Quarter – Tireless undead knights perfect their deadly arts within these chambers.
4. The Construct Quarter – Abominations stitched together from the Scourge’s victims stomp through these slime soaked halls.
5. Frostwyrm Lair – Chilly abode of Sapphiron and the arch-lich Kel’thuzad himself. (A curse upon my air conditioning bill!)
- Improvements were made to increase stability, especially for iPad 2 and iPad mini.
- Tooltips that appear when selecting an object by touch are now positioned in a more intuitive place.
- Marking yourself as “Busy” within the Battle.net desktop app will suppress incoming chat messages and toasts for friend requests.
- The Shop interface has been updated to include Curse of Naxxramas.
- Cards available within each wing of Naxxramas will become available in the Arena when that wing becomes available to play.
- The order in which Deathrattle abilities resolve has been updated to be more consistent.
- Additional music tracks have been added.
- Players that appear in “Players Near Me” now appear more prominently within the Friends List.
- Overall organization of the Friends List has been improved.
- Sounds and graphics that occur when Mass Disenchanting now take less time to complete.
- Cards can now be searched for using the artist of the card art in the Collection Manager.
- Eaglehorn Bow now reads “Whenever a friendly Secret is revealed, gain +1 Durability”.
- Practice Mode is now entered through the Solo Adventures button on the main menu.
- The AI in Practice Mode is now better at Hearthstone.
Here are some screenshots as well playing the latest update on my iPad mini.
|Unlock the full adventure|
|Curse of Naxxramas|
|Unlocked cards after defeating Anub' Rekhan|
|Battle against Grand Widow Faerlina|
|My Barbarian King now has additional summoned units|
Clash of Clans has just released a major update this week for battle improvements, balancing and content. I upgraded right away not only because I can't play it but because I wanted to try out the changes they have released, I am a fan of this game.
Here's the complete release notes for Clash of Clans.
- PEKKA level 5, Jump Spell level 3, Hidden Tesla level 8 and Bomb level 6
Epic Battle Rebalancing
- Heroes have undergone massive rework: readjusted strengths, smarter defending and stronger abilities to name a few
- Jump Speel and Valkyries overhauled to amazing effectiveness
- Inferno Tower multi-mode retargeting now slowed down
- Troops work together to break through similar wall pieces
- Tap ongoing Clan War attacks to watch the battle as it happens! (I would love to try this out)
- Re-arm traps and reload defenses easily by tapping your Town Hall
- Clan mail messages can now be twice as long
- Copy your current village layout to your Clan War base with one button (Another update I would love to try)
And here are some screenshots as well taken from my iPad mini
|My base. The view is zoomed out compared before that its so close to the middle of your village. The Townhall now has the option to re-arm your traps.|
|Updated view in the Settings. News tab contains the release updates.|
|A different view of the Settings|
|Follow COC on social media|
I was able to come across this section in the Mac App Store last week after WWDC. It's a curated list of recommended applications for Development on your Mac. I got very interested in coding again after the WWDC Keynote and the presentation about Swift. I have XCode already and decided to download the free applications on this list. Here are the free Mac apps that I have downloaded and should help you as well on your development. Their descriptions were taken from their respective Mac App Store pages.
1. Dash - Dash is an API Documentation Browser and Code Snippet Manager. Dash helps you store snippets of code, as well as instantly search and browse documentation for almost any API you might use. Some of the documentation available for the application include iOS, OS X, .Net Framework, Android, Corona, CSS, Java, SQLite and many more. The full list is available on their page here.
2. Skala Preview - Skala Preview is the fastest way to send pixel perfect, colour perfect design previews from your Mac to your iPhone or iPad. The application sends lossless, colour accurate image previews to any iOS device. Previews are pixel perfect. Colours are identical to how the final app or website will look on the device. You can preview designs on an iPhone, iPod or iPad in portrait or landscape orientation, and on devices with Retina and non-Retina displays. This application requires the companion app Skala View which is universal for iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad usage.
3. TextWrangler - TextWrangler is a powerful, general-purpose text editor crafted in Bare Bones Software's best traditions. For anyone who works in text, this award-winning application provides a clean, intelligent interface to a rich set of features for editing, searching and manipulation of text with high performance. TextWrangler's best-of-class features include grep pattern matching, search and replace across multiple files, function navigation and syntax coloring for numerous source code languages, code folding, FTP and SFTP open an save, AppleScript, Max OS X Unix scripting support and much more.
4. Prepo - This application allows you to change icons to make it look good for your iOS and Mac apps. It supports the most popular image formats (including .jpg, .png, .gif, .tiff, .psd, .pdf, .bmp, .tga and OpenEXR image) and retina compatible.
You can check out the other applications as well from the image. They are absolutely for the hardcore programmers or for those who are willing to pay for them. The free applications are a good way to start and recommended for individuals like me who are beginning to learn iOS or Mac programming.
In celebration of Philippine Independence, Google's search page has a doodle showing the Bayanihan spirit of the Filipinos. Independence Day is an annual national holiday in the Philippines observed on June 12 commemorating the Philippine Declaration of Independence from Spain on June 12, 1898 (Source: Wikipedia). We are celebrating the 116th anniversary of our freedom from Spanish colonial rule. To all the Filipinos everywhere, "Mabuhay ang mga Pilipino", Happy Independence!
I found myself playing a lot of Boom Beach again after carefully planning the upgrades on my island and the latest release for the game. The major update was just released last week together with the fix for Clash of Clans. Here's the complete release notes of the game.
- Hunt for treasure under the waves with a brand new Submarine!
- Find dive locations on your map, and send the Submarine to retrieve sunken treasure
Shock and Awe
- Give attackers a jolt with Shock Launcher, a new high-level defensive building
- Enemy troops in the area of effect will be temporarily stunned. Stop rushing Warriors in their tracks!
For the War Effort
- Your efforts to fight the Blackguard are now rewarded daily! More Victory Points give you a bigger reward
- Added a special victory reward for raiding the top 3 players on the global leaderboard
- An all-new daily report in the Enemy Activity pane shows the number of times your home base was scouted, attacked and raided by the enemy
- Victory reward of an enemy base is now visible as a map popup after the island has been scouted
- Player opponent's Victory Points are now visible when scouting
- Mine damage is now displayed when scouting
- A mysterious cold spell has swept across the archipelago, and ice now covers all islands in the Northern region of the map
- Ice Power Stones only appear on frozen islands
- Island graphics improved and optimized
- New Rocket Launcher graphics
- New graphics and visual tweaks for Boom Cannon and Cannon
- Machine gun graphics and effect tweaks
- Rockets from rocket launcher and gunboat barrage now weave in-flight
Here are some screenshots as well from my iPad mini
Comixology has some free comics to give away this coming Summer season. Dubbed as Comixology Summer Reading List, they will be giving away 20 free comics for 20 days. The giveaway started last May 26 and will last until June 14. Check out the comics they have given so far below.
Be sure to check out their Tumblr page for the upcoming freebies until June and download their application from the App Store for your Apple devices.
Be sure to check out their Tumblr page for the upcoming freebies until June and download their application from the App Store for your Apple devices.